Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vanilla Roasted Pears

I found this recipe on one of my favorite cooking blogs, Smitten Kitchen. Check it out to see the original recipe and drool over her far-superior photos. I made very few changes -- just subbed in maple sugar to make the recipe cane sugar-free, and used vanilla extract instead of vanilla beans because the grocery store was out of beans. I'd prefer to use the beans though. I used Bartlett pears but I'd love to try out other varieties as well.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. maple sugar
  • 1/2 vanilla bean (I used around 2 t. of extract)
  • 1 1/2 lbs. slightly-under-ripe pears, peeled if desired, halved stem to bottom and cored
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 2 T. water
  • 2 T. unsalted butter

Directions:
  1. Set the oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Place the sugar in a bowl. Using a knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape out the seeds into the bowl, and stir the seeds into the sugar. Or if you're using vanilla extract, add it to the sugar and stir.
  3. Arrange the pears in a baking dish, cut side up. Drizzle them with lemon juice, followed by the sugar mixture. Nestle the vanilla pods among the fruit, if you're using them. Pour water into the bottom of the dish and lay small slabs of butter on each pear.
  4. Roast for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juice. They smelled incredible every time I opened the oven! After 30 minutes, turn the pears over and continue roasting for another 25-30 minutes, basting several more times. The pears should be tender and caramelized. 
  5. Serve warm with the buttery caramelized drippings from the pan. My husband ate his over strawberry ice cream, but I ate mine plain. Either way, these are delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment