Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Dairy-Free/Gluten-Free Chocolate Pudding

My household is temporarily dairy-free, so we've been trying out a variety of milk alternatives and vegan cheeses. It's been a good excuse for me to feed my husband weird foods that he otherwise wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Who knows, maybe he'll finally go to The Chicago Diner with me?

Anyhow, this was my attempt at making a dairy-free chocolate dessert for us to enjoy. Truth be told, my husband wasn't crazy about it ("this has the consistency of caulk" were his exact words). I ended up feeding him my back-up dessert, which was coconut milk ice cream. But I enjoyed this pudding. More for me ;)

I started by cutting up a package of soft tofu into a food processor.


Next I cut in two very ripe bananas and hit puree. After that was mixed I started to add in the good stuff: unsweetened cocoa powder and agave syrup. 


Honestly I am not sure of the amounts. I started with the cocoa powder and then added agave SLOWLY (it's very sweet) to balance out the bitter cocoa flavor. I also threw in some crunchy peanut butter for added flavor and texture. My husband thinks that I should have added either banana or peanut butter and not both, and in retrospect I think he's right. 


I chilled this for a few hours prior to serving. It would be delightful with whipped cream on top if, you know, you can eat dairy. I've seen recipes online that use avocado in place of tofu and I think that's a pretty brilliant idea to try out in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment