Monday, December 10, 2012

Gluten-Free, Yeast-Free Pizza --- No Food Processor Required

Lately I have been craving pizza. I looked around the internet for pizza dough recipes (both gluten-free, and non-gluten-free but adaptable) and ran into a couple problems:

1) I didn't want to buy additional gf baking products (I have enough, thank you very much!)
2) I don't own a food processor, which seems to be a key ingredient in a lot of recipes
3) after having several yeasted breads overflow in the oven and catch the oven coils on fire, I am taking a short break from using yeast

SO! Here's what I came up with. It's delicious, though the lack of yeast makes it more of a flatbread-style pizza. Whatever, it's still pizza.

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 c. gluten-free flour (I used my usual adaptation of Jeanne's Gluten Free Flour Mix, i.e. everything but the xantham gum)
  • sea salt
  • black pepper
  • oregano
  • basil
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 c. milk
  • olive oil
  • 1.5 t. baking powder
  • 2 t. ground flaxseed, mixed with 4 t. boiling water
  • pizza sauce (I used Newman's Own Sockarooni Sauce, which I love)
  • large ball of mozzarella cheese
  • toppings of your choice

Directions:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder along with 1 t. each of salt, pepper, oregano, basil. 
  3. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Add that liquid, along with the flaxseed-water mixture, to the dry ingredients. Stir together with a spoon until a sticky dough is formed. 
  4. Oil an 8x11 baking pan. Do NOT use a cookie sheet or pizza stone, as this dough will run over the edges. You need a pan with sides. 
  5. Spread the dough over the baking pan and flatten with a spoon. Bake for 10-15 min. to set the crust. 
  6. Remove the crust from the oven and spread a thin layer of olive oil on the whole crust. Follow that with a layer of sauce. I added the following toppings in this order: gf salami (Applegate Farms brand is always gf), thin slices of mozzarella, and sliced mushrooms. I topped the pizza with a drizzle of olive oil and additional sprinklings of oregano and basil. 
  7. Bake for 15-20 min, or until the crust is cooked through and the cheese is melted. 




No comments:

Post a Comment